Friday, August 2, 2013

I Gained How Much?

31 Weeks pregnant now and I have gained 22 pounds! 

I am on track to be within the recommended weight gain range of 28-40 pounds for a female with a  pre-pregnancy  BMI below 18%.  My BMI started at 14% which is definitely low for a female but I workout and eat clean so yes, it is low but I was lean not skinny.  I am thinking I will max at around 33-35 pounds once my baby boy comes!  The normal weight gain range for healthy female with a
BMI of 18-24% is 25-35 pounds.

During my first trimester I gained around 10 pounds, 10 POUNDS!  I was freaking out because they say you should only gain about 1 to 5 pounds in the first 13 weeks.  There was no doubt in my mind I was going to gain a crazy amount of weight and was pretty scared.  It definitely didn't help that I was craving cupcakes and pizza and the thought of a veggie was gross!  First trimester advise, don't over think the weight gain during the first trimester.  You are probably craving weird things or like many are having morning sickness and eating way more carbs than normal like saltines.

Second trimester,  from weeks 13 - 27 I was able to manage my weight gain better.  Even though the gain was about the same as the first trimester, I was starting to be more on track with the recommended amount to put on per week which is 1 pound.  During that 13ish weeks I gained about 8-9 pounds which was actually lower than suggested.  Second trimester advise, it all even outs.  I was no longer craving anything at all and my energy levels were back in full swing.  Trimester one I was still working out as normal but the bad eating did not do me any favors.  Second trimester with my workouts in full swing still the weight was manageable!! Yay!!  I will say that I was doing cardio but not as intense just for the record!

Third trimester,  well I am about 3-4 weeks into the third tri and so far I gained about 3 pounds!BUT, my baby is weighting about 3 pounds now too! 

Don't let the weight gain control your mind during pregnancy. I have had friends tell me that it didn't matter how much gained as long as it was reasonable.  That they had put on 7 pounds in a month before and had other months they gained nothing.  We can't help it but to worry, I know!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren! I'm Heather and I wanted to know if you would answer my question regarding your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete