Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hospital Bag Must Haves

I just had my handsome baby boy less than 2 1/2 weeks ago...but I wrote this while still at the hospital since it was fresh!


General Musts Haves for Mom and Dad:

1.  Toiletries!  I went to CVS and picked up travel sized toiletries for me and my hubby.  I bought 2 Shampoos, one condition, two body washes, toothpastes, contact solution, face wipes, and hand sanitizer.  The rest I just threw in from the house, like tooth brushes, hair brush, deodorant, and face lotion.  I found that having the small sizes and being able to throw them away was so nice because we are definitely leaving with way more than we came in with.  I also packed my makeup for when people are visiting.  I found it made me feel better to have a fresh face to feel more like myself and pretty.  My hubby had his glasses for when we were hanging out at night.  Daddy bought a razor so bring one haha

2.  DSLR Digital Camera!!!  I suggest showing your hubby some of the pictures you would really want or just seeing what others have captured.  It is a very intense, special, and overwhelming moment and you will NOT have the camera so help him with ideas before hand!

3.  Cell phone charges!

Mommy's Must Haves:

1.  Zip Up long sleeve shirt or sweater.  So I brought just a pull over long sleeve shirt and yes, it is keeping me warm but when I go to feed the baby it is kind of a pain.  I wish I could just unzip it and be able to be more skin to skin with my baby instead of taking it off or pulling it up.

2.  Nursing Tank Top or Tee Shirt.  For the ease of feeding the baby and comfort while you are there.

3.  Comfy maternity sweat shorts.  I brought a pair of old navy black sweat shorts to pull up while hanging out.  They go over those mesh panties easily and aren't tight in anyway.

4.  Sweat pants.  Now I brought yoga pants because I read other blogs saying that is what they did...Mine didn't work.  To tight, not comfy,  the pad and ice pack looked crazy under them.

5.  Nursing Bra or two!!

Daddy's Must Haves:

1.  Zip up long sleeve shirt.  My hubby brought a long sleeve shirt but again he would have liked a zip up so he could do the skin to skin with our baby more easily and not having to be shirtless completely. The nurses are in and out non-stop so he didn't like being shirtless (and his body is rockin ;)

2. Workout pants or shorts for night and hanging out during the day!

3.  A pair of Jeans for when visitors were here.  We had one day of visitors and he wore his pants a little nicer shirt that day!

4. 2 Tee Shirts for hanging out during the day and to sleep in.

5.  A hat!

6.  Socks and tennis shoes or comfy shoe.

Baby's Must Haves:

1.  The going home outfit! I brought a pair of sweat pants, long sleeve onesis with the built in mittens, a NB hat, socks, and a cute blanket.  It was fall here so we did warmer clothes.

2.  We brought our diaper bag thinking we were going to leave it in the car but we ended up bringing it in and packing some of the hospital blankets and stuff in it that they give you.  We also used our own NB diapers at times because we had the ones with the belly button cut out in them which are easier to use for baby's sensitive area.

Things we didn't bring and wish we had:

1.  Our boppie!  We didn't bring our boppie and used pillows but it would have been easier to just have it for feedings instead of stacking up pillows.

2.  Healthy Snacks.  I wish we had brought apples, bananas, or fruit that is easy to pack, nuts, and granola or protein bars.  The hospital didn't really offer all that healthy of food and it was kind of disappointing for us.  We ate kind of crappy for the 3 days.

3.  Advil for dad.  We bought some in the shop at the hospital but it would have been free from home.

4.  An extra outfit for mom and dad that can be left in the car.  We ended up having to spend an additional night at the hospital which we didn't expect.   I had a fever when delivering my baby which gave him a fever and for testing to make sure the baby was cleared to go home and didn't have a virus they made us stay one more night.

...and Of course:

All those must haves like Photo ID, Insurance Card, Car Seat, chargers, etc

I hope this helps!

LP


No comments:

Post a Comment